The first record mentioning Suhopolje dates back to 1763 and contains information on the construction of the estate building in 1750. Around this building, a village was soon constructed and, at the end of the 18th and 19th century, its development was tied to the Vuchin estate. This estate was possessed all the way to 1765 by the count Caraffa family that gave it back to the Imperial Chamber for administration. In comparison with other Slavonian estates, in the 18th century, the Vučinsko estate was among the medium-sized estates, i.e. it was one of the top ten Slavonian latifundia by income and tax.
The territory of then still non-existing Suhopolje, observed within the entire Vučinsko estate, was to be found at the ultimate north-western edge of the major part of the property. The major part of the flatland of the Vučinsko estate, including this segment, was at that time marshland and, therefore, scarcely inhabited or not at all. Only after, in the mid-18th century, the comprehensive amelioration works dried it up, agricultural exploitation of the land was made possible as well as more intense population and creation of new villages.
In 1771, the Vučinsko estate became the property of the noble family Janković, whose inheritors kept the property in their possession all the way until 1931 when they sold it to the Hrvatsko-slavonska banka (Croatian-Slavonian Bank) to be subdivided and colonised d.d. in Zagreb, with the castle and a most beautiful park.
The ‘List of cultivated lands in Croatia and Slavonia at the moment when serfdom was abolished in 1848’ mentions two estates: the Terezovac estate and the Voćin estate. Thus, in the first half of the 19th century, until 1848, an independent Terezovac estate was formed, separated from the core Vučinsko estate, with the main seat, of course, in the town of the same name.
The creation of the town, its later development in the 18th and 19th century, the construction of the castle and the church, as well as all of the life of Suhopolje were conditioned and closely connected to the estate to which they belonged. To be more precise, this town emerged primarily due to the needs of the feudal estate on which it was created; its foundation was started by the nobleman, the owner of the estate.
Particularly standing out, because of its beauty, is the St. Therese Church built in the classicist style in 1807-1816 that at present has the status of protected individual and immovable cultural heritage within sacral architecture, while at the sites of Pepelana, Zvonimirovo and Orešac there are significant archaeological localities from the pre-historic age as well as the Roman times, also protected as immovable cultural good.
Today the town is a commercial centre with developed agriculture, in particular seed production. The feast of the Blessed Virgin Mary on August 15 is also the Day of the Suhopolje Municipality.